Thursday, September 15, 2016

Jilted mother of 3 abandons day-old baby, blames action on hardship

A 31-year-old mother of three, Ifunanya Eme, has been arrested for concealing her day-old baby inside a sack and abandoning the baby girl at a dump site in Ajagbandi area of Lagos.
Eme, who hails from Oji River in Enugu State, blamed her action on her inability to take care of the baby.
The suspect, who was paraded at the Lagos State Police Command headquarters, yesterday, said that she delivered the baby girl unaided, inside a toilet at one of her relatives’ place at Montana Street, Ajagbandi, at 3a.m., Tuesday.
Thereafter, she wrapped the baby and the placenta inside a bag and sneaked out of the building to a dump site, where she abandoned the baby.
She left her three children with her sister in Enugu, after she was separated from her husband, before relocating to Lagos.
While in Ajah area of Lagos, where she was squatting with a friend, she went into a relationship with a man, identified simply as John, which resulted in the pregnancy.
Trouble started after her lover absconded, when she informed him about the pregnancy.

My story—Baby’s Mother
According to the suspect, “since I called John to inform him about the pregnancy, he stopped picking my calls. Later, his phone was switched off and I don’t know where he lives or any member of his family.
“I left Ajah for Ajagbandi last month and got a job as a sales girl. None, not even my relatives, whom I live with, knew I was pregnant.
“I decided to abandon my baby because I don’t have money to cater for her. There is no help from anywhere. My parents are dead. I believe someone saw me when I abandoned the baby and reported to the chairman of the area, who took the case to the police.
“I feel very unhappy over my action. If government will help me, I will take back the baby.”
It was gathered that policemen from Ajagbandi, who were on patrol around the area, traced the blood from the dump site to the apartment, where the woman came out from and subsequently arrested her.
The command’s boss, Fatai Owoseni, said the baby had been taken to a hospital, adding that the command would do the needful by sending her to the appropriate agency.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say