Tuesday, April 07, 2015

It's devil's handiwork, says father of tortured brothers

The scars are from rough play—STEPMOTHER
My mummy beats them with plank—DAUGHTER
We didn’t know he had remarried—RELATIVE

                                                      Mr. and Mrs Odebunmi

Mr. Seun Odebunmi, father of Damilare and Michael, the two children rescued by residents of Owutu in Ikorodu, after suffering severe abuse in the hands of their father and step-mother, has attributed his actions to devil’s handiwork.
“We did not mean to cause the children any harm,” he said. “All we did was discipline them for stealing,” he added.
According to the 36-year-old father of four, “Damilare and Michael are the children I had from my first wife; their mother abandoned them when they were four years and two years old, respectively.
“I am a company driver before I had this accident that affected my legs. I have undergone two surgeries. While I was still driving, I leave home very early and come back late. Each time I return from work, I get complaints about the two of them.
“My wife and I went out; when we came back we found out that Damilare has taken my drugs. I was the one that beat him up. But I wanted to take him to the hospital before people in the community called the police, who came to his rescue.
“We have not registered both of them in school because we are still searching for a better school for them.”


Wife’s story
According to 33-year-old Adepeju Odebunmi, a trader, “I am their step-mother. My husband disciplined Damilare because he steals food in the house. He is fond of going into the kitchen to steal food, including soup from the pot.
“When I returned from an outing with my husband, I met Damilare swallowing his daddy’s drug. The daddy got angry and beat him up, then sent him out of the house. He wanted to take his shower before taking Dami to the hospital.
“The neighbours invited the police, who arrested us. I always report to their father when they misbehave. Most times, I discipline them myself. I use the same cane on them and my biological children and give them food three times daily.
“The scars on their body are from rough play.”

Her daughter’s version
Despite the denial from their step-mother, her daughter said: “Mummy usually beats Damilare with horsewhip and plank.
“She always beat them up and if I share my food with them, she will quarrel with me, but she will not beat me.”
It would be recalled that the couple was arrested after residents in the community raised alarm on the abuse suffered by the children when eight years old Damilare Odebunmi was found lying in the sun with blood dripping out of injuries on his back, after an alleged beating by their step-mother for taking Vitamin C.

A relative’s tears
A close relative of Seun (names withheld) said: “We do not know how he got involved with the second wife, or why he chose to treat his own blood with so much disdain.
“Would you believe Seun married the second wife without the knowledge of any member of his family? As if that was not enough, he relocated to another area in Ikorodu to cut off links with his family and relatives.
“It was when this trouble started we discovered that he lives here in Ikorodu, married a woman who has grown up children from her previous marriage.”
Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Kenneth Nwosu, said the children had been discharged from Ikorodu General Hospital and the case charged to court.

2 comments:

  1. So because their mother abandoned them, their father now wants to kill them abi? The stepmother should be jailed and their father be castrated because I don't know why he still calls himself a man if he could treat his own flesh and blood like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That exactly wht the world has become...the expression of wickedness!

    ReplyDelete

Have your say