Sunday, June 10, 2018

3 policemen dismissed for spraying tear-gas on asthmatic man

The Lagos State Police Command has dismissed three policemen— an inspector and two sergeants— for spraying tear-gas on a man at Chinese Town, Ojota, causing him to collapse in an asthmatic fit, last Friday.
The officers are Inspector Momoh Sulaiman, Force Number 220957; Sergeant Emmanuel Monday, Force Number 429659, and Sergeant Adamu Usman, 434246.

Rub-a-dub master, Ras Kimono passes on at 60

Nigerian reggae music legend, Ras Kimono (Ekeleke Elumuelu), died yesterday morning, weeks after turning 60, at a private hospital in Lagos, where he was rushed to after complaining of feeling funny.
Ras Kimono was said to have concluded plans to travel to the United States last Friday before complaining of feeling funny.
According to reports, the legendary reggae artiste suddenly slumped and was rushed to a hospital in Ikeja, from where he was taken to Lagoon Hospital on the Island and later confirmed dead.
Kimono was initially married to Cybil, who had a set of twins in Nigeria, before they later separated in USA.
Kimono, a revolutionary singer, last public outing was at Sir Shina Peters 60th birthday celebration at Eko Hotels and Suites, Victoria Island.

Family of 7, one other die in Enugu auto crash

NO fewer than eight persons, yesterday, died in a motor accident along Ugwuonyeama, Enugu-Onitsha Expressway in Enugu State with four sustaining severe injuries.
According to Enugu State Police Command, seven members of a family were killed in the accident that occurred at about 8a.m., on the Enugu axis of the expressway.

Wednesday, June 06, 2018

Lagos can be world tourism destination —UNWTO

The United Nations World Tourism Organisation, UNWTO, has expressed confidence in Lagos becoming one of the tourism destinations in the world, noting that Lagos would play a pivotal role in the organisation’s quest to promote new world tourism destinations.
Secretary-General of UNWTO, Mr. Zurab Pololikashvili, said this yesterday, when he led a delegation, consisting eight ministers of tourism and representatives from 44 countries across Africa, on a courtesy visit to Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State.

Monday, June 04, 2018

No position on 2019 presidential polls yet— Ohanaeze

The apex Igbo socio-cultural organisation, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, said it is yet to take any position on 2019 presidential election.
According to a statement issued yesterday by Chuks Ibegbu, a spokesman for Ohanaeze, “we will consult widely among Igbo stakeholders before taking a decision on 2019. 
“Anybody who is parading himself, claiming that Ohanaeze Ndigbo is supporting him is wasting his time.

40 hospitalised, 89 under watch as Cholera hits Kaduna secondary school

A cholera outbreak has been reported in Government Girls Secondary School, Kawo, Kaduna, with about 40 students reportedly hospitalised at the General Hospital, Kawo, while 89 students are under watch.
At press time, there was no official statement from the state government, but health workers had been deployed to the school to manage the situation.

Herdsmen abduct Delta monarch, demand N15m ransom

TENSION is mounting in Ogodor Kingdom, Aniocha North Local Government Area, Delta State, following the abduction of the traditional ruler of the kingdom, His Royal Majesty, Sunday Olisewokwu, by herdsmen.
The monarch, who is in his 40s and is the Chairman of Aniocha North Local Government Traditional Rulers’ Committee, was kidnapped by herdsmen numbering about seven between Ezi and Onicha-Olona communities last Sunday evening.

Ogun lawmakers clash: Mafe is after my life—Adeleye

I'm shocked; it's cheap blackmail—Majority leader

ABEOKUTA—THE member representing Remo North constituency in Ogun State House of Assembly, Mr. Adebiyi Adeleye, has raised the alarm over alleged “threats and attack” on his life by a fellow lawmaker, Adeyinka Mafe, who is the Majority Leader of the House.
Adeleye also alleged that suspected hoodlums sponsored by Mafe, attacked him physically during the coronation of the Odemo of Isara, Oba Albert Adebose Mayungbe, on May 24.
The lawmaker said this at a briefing, yesterday, in Isara, Remo North Local Government Area of the state, explaining that he had arrived at the venue of the ceremony in company of his supporters, when some hoodlums led by one Segun Agabi, started to hit them and eventually prevented them from sitting at the main arena of the ceremony.

He refused to pay after service; tried to kill me—Commercial sex worker

She asked for more than we bargained for—Suspect

A commercial sex worker has revealed how a client almost killed her after he had sex with her and refused to pay in her hotel room in Ajagbandi area of Lagos State.
According to the ‘worker,’ 18-year-old Faith Nuel, the incident happened on May 24, 2018.

Six out of 10 cultists in Lagos 're minors, says CP

THE Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, Edgal Imohimi has disclosed that six out of 10 arrested suspected cultists in the state were between 12 and 15 years.
Imohimi, who said this at a town hall meeting with residents of Surulere area of the state, took a swipe at parents of such children, saying that it was an indication of a drift from their responsibilities.

NSCIA scribe faults CAN on Leah Sharibu

Secretary-General of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs, NSCIA, Professor Ishaq Oloyede, yesterday, said the idea by the Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, that there might be a religious war in the country if the abducted Leah Sharibu was not rescued from Boko Haram captivity was uncalled for.
Oloyede, who also is the Registrar of the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board, JAMB, spoke on 'Achieving Peace, Stability and Good Governance in a Multi-Ethnic and Multi-Religious Society: The Islamic Perspective', at the first Ramadan Lecture of the Point Newspapers in Lagos.

NNPC rejects Falana’s request for fuel importation information

THE Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, has declared that it has no obligation to respond to the Freedom of Information, FoI, request made by human rights lawyer, Mr. Femi Falana(SAN), on fuel importation and sundry matters.
In a letter by NNPC’s lawyer, O. B. Omale, addressed to Falana, it stated that the law that established NNPC, precludes it from one of the government’s body under obligations to disclose information under the FoI Act.

Don't do things the Nigerian way, President Buhari tells Red Cross


President Muhammadu Buhari has said he hopes Red Cross Society, NRCS, will not do things the Nigerian way, even as he promised to assist the organisation secure a permanent office accommodation in Abuja.
President Buhari stated this at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, during his investiture as Grand Patron of the Nigerian Red Cross Society, NRCS.

Sunday, May 27, 2018

Lagos NYSC member slumps, dies 5 days to passing out

Tragedy struck at Alausa Secretariat, Ikeja, when a National Youths Service Corps, NYSC, member, identified as Ibukun Arowolo, allegedly slumped and died five days to completion of his one year service.
Vanguard gathered that Arowolo was deployed to the state Ministry of Economic Planning and Budget before he passed on last Thursday.
It was learned that the deceased became uncomfortable after taking a meal and allegedly slumped, forcing staff in the ministry to rush him to Folarin Coker Hospital.

General pulls gun on electricity officials over disconnection

A retired Army General who allegedly pulled a gun and threatened to shoot some staff of Eko Electricity Distribution Company, EKEDC, would be prosecuted for assault and attempted murder.
The company’s GM, Corporate Communications, Godwin Idemudia, told journalists in Lagos, yesterday, that the retired general, on May 24, allegedly forced EKEDC staff who disconnected electricity supply to reconnect power to his Ikoyi, Lagos residence, at gunpoint.

Mubi cholera update: 434 cases recorded, with 13 deaths


The Adamawa Ministry of Health has confirmed that the cases of cholera outbreak in Mubi have risen to 434 with 13 deaths.
The Information Officer of the ministry, Mr. Abubakar Muhammed, who confirmed the number in a statement yesterday in Yola, said: “Total number of cases reported from Mubi North and Mubi South Local Government areas as at May 26 stand at 434 cases, with 13 deaths.

Thursday, May 24, 2018

How Africa’s richest woman, Alakija, was defrauded by 3 siblings

Africa’s richest woman and Founder of Rose of Sharon Foundation, Mrs Folorunsho Alakija, yesterday, told a Lagos High Court, sitting in Ikeja, how three siblings and four others defrauded the Foundation of N3 million.
The suspects are Vincent Ayewah, Florence Ayewah and Emmanuel Ayewah.
Alakija told the court, presided over by Justice Hakeem Oshodi, that on November 13, 2012, she received a call from the Treasurer of the Foundation informing her that a cheque presented at a bank for payment by Florence Ayewah, a sister to Vincent Ayewah, who works as a Clerk/Administrative Officer of the Foundation, had an irregular signature and was rejected.

I don’t know what came over me, says man that defiled his 4 daughters

The 41-year-old man, Michael Akpan Isaiah, who defiled his four daughters has told a magistrate’s court sitting in Port Harcourt that he does not know what came over him.
Isaiah, a school gardener, is accused of forcibly having carnal knowledge of his four daughters, who are between the ages of two and 17.
He is said to have committed the crime within the premises of a private school around Borokiri Sand Field area of Port Harcourt, where he was given accommodation.
When the three-count charge was read to him, he admitted to have committed the crime, but told the court that he does not know what came over him.

Sunday, May 20, 2018

Monday, December 18, 2017

That was the last time I posted something. Too far. Anyway, I never got around to doing what I wanted to do with this blog. Someday, maybe I will.
Meanwhile, I will just keep the blog alive by posting anything thing I feel is "good."